In 2009, Zion Packaging opened its doors in sunny San Clemente, CA. Through passion and persistence we were able to dig a foot hold in the local co-packaging scene. We were blessed to have people on our side that believed in us enough to recommend us to their customers. We have continued to invest in ourselves and grow. Since then we have accumulated hundreds of customers spanning North and South America. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you!
you got options
Tactile or scratch off
Every customer has their own special requirements and we try to use the tool that matches the job. Gravure printing is our preferred method as it gives us the highest quality, the most design options and the best printing.
how it's made
First things first, we discuss which facility is packaging for you and what your bagging facility is capable of doing. We then prepare a printing template based on your product fill, your facilities requirements and your finished product expectations. Using this template, your design group prepares your artwork in accordance with the printing template and then submits it to Zion Packaging for conversion. Zion performs prepress and applies any need distortion to the artwork. We then provide you with a high-quality final proof for approval. It is then up to you to either return any changes to our design department for implementation or you authorize production and send a PO.
After you have approved the artwork, we release for cylinder creation. For gravure printing, our cylinder maker will take metal cores and affix a copper layer to it. They will then laser engrave or acid etch the cylinder as required by the artwork.
After the printing cylinders are created, they are transferred to the printing presses and printing begins. For gravure printing, the presses can run at speeds of around 125000 pieces per hour. For digital printing, the speed is so slow it is reminiscent of a dialup connection.
Slitting, Seaming & Converting
After the film is printed it is transferred to a slitting machine which cut the big role into single item rolls. After that completes, the film is bonded and laminated with other materials to meet the storage requirements of your products.
Shipping and Storage
Once everything gets boxed up, your bags will then go on a truck, a train, a boat or plane. We offer free storage for the effective life of the bags at our Corona facility. Alternatively, we can ship to your facility or directly to your contract packager.
- Early in the discovery process, Zion Packaging will provide each customer with a die line (template) specifically suited to the desired bag attributes and product size for the project. This die line will define areas of the bag in order to aid the customer in bag design. Zion die lines will be supplied in .pdf format.
- Our pre-press department runs on Macintosh. Artwork should be supplied in its native format (Illustrator, Photoshop), along with all supporting graphics and fonts. RGB images must be converted to CMYK, as there will be unanticipated color shifts during translation.
- Please provide files uncompressed. Color separation is essential to the gravure printing process. Please provide raster files in layers to allow for necessary printing adjustments. Any modifications Zion makes are exclusively to allow for a better printing result.
- In the event we feel there are components of your artwork that may pose inferior printing results, we will indicate such areas and provide a recommended solution.
- Images must be correctly sized and properly oriented to the bag.
- Images should be printed at a minimum of 175 lines per inch. ZionPackaging is capable of printing 250 lines per inch. TIFF or EPS files at 300 dpi minimum resolutions are preferred formats for images.
- 3%-5% minimum printing dot. When fading a gradient with gravure printing, feel free to fade to 0%. (Gravure excels in drop shadows, fine gradients, blends and vignettes)
- If a gradient consists of more than one color (i.e process), please ensure all colors terminate at the same location.
Type Size and Font Requirements
- The minimum type size for good legibility is 6 point. Type face with small serifs or thin strokes should be avoided. Our font size specifications are based on experience and knowing what prints well and what does not.
- Metallic Inks are more to “fill-in”, and a slightly larger font should be considered.
- Key-lines may be required for “knockout” type. This decision will be made depending on various factors, including the color composition of the surrounding background. This single color will enhance printing and provide superior results.
- Any choice to utilize type smaller than 6 point is the sole responsibility of the client.
- All text must be supplied in Illustrator. Text supplied in Photoshop is unacceptable as it has already been converted to an image inside the program. Finally, Photoshop text will appear blurry when printed. In the event you do not have access to Illustrator, or your artwork is only available as a Photoshop file, Zion will rebuild the file in Illustrator. Please note pre-press hourly rates will apply.
Converting Copy to Outlines
- Ultimately Zion Packaging will convert all text to outlines, whether or not a client supplies the artwork with text converted to outlines. A client has two options:
- Supply artwork with text converted to outlines. No (limited) editing will be possible by Zion.
- Supply artwork INCLUDING all utilized fonts. In the event minor text revisions are required, Zion can easily make these changes without trouble.
Die lines and Copy Placement
- Please ensure all copy is placed within the “Text Zone” as indicated on the Zion Packaging supplied die line.
- Customer must supply UPC code numbers.
- If necessary, we have the tools to generate a barcode for your product. Simply supply us with the first 11 digits of the code. Zion will scan the barcode and ensure its readability.
- UPC codes should be positioned on design to run in machine direction (vertically). This will ensure limited distortion during the shrinking process.
- Please design the barcode with high contrast in mind. Black on white provides the best combination for success.
- Should you supply the barcode, please set the bar width reduction (BWR) at .001*(Gravure)
- Artwork should be submitted un-trapped.
- The standard for traps is 0.2mm. On occasion, a smaller trap is used if we feel it necessary and prudent to provide the best printing results.
- Often the contour of a bottle and corresponding nature of bag sagging will affect the overall appearance of a project.
- Zion will offer suggestions if distortion-correction is necessary for your project.
- Zion utilizes computer modeling in order to compensate for predicted shelf sagging differences in order to achieve a desired result. Please ask for details.
Running Combos and/or Common Plates
- Often a client will offer a family of products that may employ similar features or elements. There are design considerations that may allow the use of common plates/cylinders in several products, offering significant savings.
- Similarly, clients many times offer a product in several countries, with requirements for different languages. In these cases, it tends to be incredibly practical to design with black or dark text. It is common to be able to utilize overprint techniques, where *only* the primary text cylinders is unique, and all other cylinders are commonly used. Please ask Zion how to achieve this goal.
PDF, Epson Print Proofs and On-Press First Articles
- During the art submittal process, there typically are a few points at which Zion’s graphics department will provide PDF files to electronically proof. This process enables a client to find errors early and correct before final traps and adjustments are made to artwork.
- Upon approval of electronic PDF, Zion will create an Epson print proof for the client to review before the project is released to plate/cylinder creation.
- While Epson proofs are fairly color accurate, there are often slight variations in color when comparing a proof to the final product.
- A color proof of finished art must be signed and dated and returned to Zion prior to manufacturing.
- In the event a client must have 100% certainty of the final product, Zion offers on-press first articles. An additional fee applies for this service. Contact Zion for details.
- Customers are responsible for any misspellings or errors in the artwork they supply Zion Pack.
Changes to Artwork
- If changes to artwork are required outside the scope of the original quotation, jobs will be assessed and invoiced on an individual basis.
How many colors can Packaging support?
Up to 10 colors.
What is your DPI printing capability?
Typical DPI is 175-220, with capability up to 250.
How long does a cylinder last?
All Zion Packaging cylinders are guaranteed for life. In the event a cylinder is needed beyond its useful life, Zion will replace the cylinder at no cost.
How much are shipping and import costs?
All import and shipping costs, if any, are included in the quoted price.
What kind of charges can I expect?
Design work, computer file preparation, proofs and film are quoted and billed separately, depending on customer requirements.
For gravure printing, cylinder engraving typically costs $350-475 per cylinder (color), depending on the size of the cylinder.
For flexographic printing, cylinder engraving typically costs $100-$150 per cylinder (color), depending on the size of the cylinder.
For digital printing, expect an artwork preparation charge of $100.
How do I submit a request for quotation to Zion Packaging?
All requests should be sent via our contact form or call us at 949-361-8828. We will respond to your inquiry within 1 business day. Please include the following information on any correspondence:
- Project Name
- Film type desired (if known)
- Bottle Specifications
- # of colors (including clear)
- Annual forecast quantity (number of bags)
- Initial order quantity (number of bags)
- Date required
What is your lead time?
For gravure, we can typically deliver initial bags to the west coast within 6 weeks of art approval. Or by airfreighting at an extra charge we can produce and delivery within 15 business days from artwork approval. Repeat orders can reach the US within 3-4 weeks of order. Please give us a call to discuss.
What is your minimum order size?
For Gravure, typically 50 to 100 thousand
For Flexographic, typically 10 to 50 thousand.
For Digital, 5 to 5000.
How should I provide artwork?
Most clients these days submit artwork to us via one of the multitude of online sites, such as dropbox. Please contact us if alternative methods are needed. Artwork should be provided in Adobe Illustrator, with source files and fonts included.
Does Zion Packaging provide warehousing services?
Yes. Temporary warehousing services are considered part of Zion’s service offering. Extended warehousing is also available should a customer require the service. Please give us a call to discuss.
What are Zion’s standard payment terms?
FOB California with advanced deposit and down payment for a bag order and cylinder creation. Zion will extend payment terms to qualified customers.